Wastewater Plant Operator III & Maintenance Superintendent
June Lake Public Utilities
2380 Hwy 158, June Lake, CA 93529
$74,500 - $96,000 a year - Full-time
Full Job Description
Wastewater Plant Operator III & Maintenance Superintendent
Salary: $74,500.00 - $96,000.00 per year
Job includes a State Water Board certification
California Grade III Wastewater Plant Operator
California Grade III Water Treatment
California Grade II Water Distribution
District of June Lake, California
Come work at our Wastewater Treatment Facility in the foothills of the amazing Sierra Nevada in the town of June Lake! There is currently a rare vacancy in the Wastewater Division and Water Distribution of the June Lake Public Utilities Department. Under general supervision, the Wastewater Plant Operator III & Maintenance Superintendent performs a variety of skilled tasks in the operation, inspection, and maintenance of the Public Utility District wastewater plant, water treatment, and water distribution.
Job Description: Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Grade III & Maintenance Superintendent
- Supervise and participate in the operation of wastewater treatment facilities to control flow and processing of wastewater, as well water treatment and distribution for the district.
- Monitor gauges, meters and control panels.
- Observe variations in operating conditions.
- Interpret observations, meter readings and test results to determine processing requirements.
- Supervise and participate in the operation of valves, gates, boilers, compressors, pumps, engines and electric motors to control treatment processes.
- Perform routine maintenance work on equipment and machinery.
- Insure safe work practices are followed; instruct assigned personnel in proper work procedures and use of safety equipment; may use self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Keep facility areas in a clean and orderly condition.
- Perform work outdoors at times in inclement weather.
- Collect samples and perform routine laboratory tests and analyses.
- Maintain shift log and record meter and gauge readings.
- Assist in the supervision and training of Operators I and II Wastewater/Water Distribution/Water Treatment.
- Perform in a leadership role for the more complex projects or assignments.
- Serve as the acting Senior Wastewater Plant Operator. Water Distribution and Treatment.
- Perform the more complicated operational tasks and trouble-shoot process problems.
- Attends board meetings, presents monthly report of district status, participates in budgeting and long-range planning.
- Plans and implements the day-to-day operations and maintenance tasks to keep the Districts water distribution and wastewater systems fully functional.
- Current California Grade III Wastewater Treatment Certificate, Grade II Water Distribution certificate, Grade III Water Treatment certificate.
Experience: Five years experience in the operation and maintenance of water/wastewater systems, at least five years of which has been in a supervisory position.
Education: High School graduation or satisfactory equivalent (GED).
(A Bachelor's Degree or Associate's Degree with a major course work related to wastewater treatment or environmental science or related education is highly desired.)
Necessary Special Requirements for Wastewater Plant Operator III & Maintenance Superintendent
- Possession of an appropriate, valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- May require possession of or the ability to obtain an appropriate valid California Commercial Motor Vehicle Operator's License based upon operational need and the duties assigned.
- Possession of a current valid Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Grade III Certificate, Water Treatment Grade III certificate, Water Distribution Grade II certificate issued by the State Water Resources Control Board.
- Applicants with advanced certification in one discipline may be considered.
- Higher required certification in related water/wastewater areas (e.g. Mosquito, Backflow Tester, Cross-Connection Specialists, Collection System Maintenance) highly desirable.
The District of June Lake offers exceptional pay, excellent benefits including CalPERS retirement, medical, dental, vision, basic life insurance, long-term disability, an Employee Assistance Program, vacation time, sick time, and up to 11 paid holidays per year.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process. This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination.
The June Lake District does not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of age, race, color, sex, ancestry, national origin, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity, religion, military status, medical condition, mental disability, and physical disability.
The list of essential job duties contained in this job description are not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. This position performs other related job duties as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position. Any offer of employment for this position is contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a background investigation and drug screening.
Salary Step Chart
O & M Superintendent
Step 1= $6210.53 (Monthly)
Step 2 = $6520.80 (Monthly)
Step 3 = $6846.67 (Monthly)
Step 4 = $7188.13 (Monthly)
Step 5 = $7545.20 (Monthly)
Step 6 = $7997.60 (Monthly)
- Rates listed monthly.
- Each step, except the final, represents a five percent (5%) increase over preceding step. The final step represents a six percent (6%) increase over the fifth step.
- This chart does not include calculation of potential ancillary benefits, such as stand by pay.
- Nothing about this salary step chart guarantees any employee promotion from one step to another. The provision of any step increase is upon successful completion of the prior step and such increase is determined at the discretion of the District in light of individual performance.
- 2% COLA is included in the hourly rates.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $74,500.00 - $96,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekend availability
Work Location: One location.